6 hours total | 4 sessions, beginning November 3, 2021
Learn the basic principles of Objectivism, with a special emphasis on Ayn Rand’s method of objectivity and how it can help you think more clearly, excel in life, and maximize your happiness.
Ayn Rand described Objectivism as “a philosophy for living on earth.” This is an apt description because every principle of the philosophy is derived from reality for the purpose of guiding your choices and actions so you can flourish.
The key to understanding Objectivism and putting it to work in your life is understanding the method by which Rand formed its principles. This course highlights Rand’s method, showing how the principles are derived, why they are true, and how they can help you succeed in your career, friendships, romance, and life in general.
- The principles of rational self-interest, where they come from, and how they apply to your life
- Why Objectivism is both 100% pro-reason and 100% pro-emotion, and how it can help you foster harmony between these mental faculties
- How the trader principle—voluntary exchange to mutual benefit—applies both to material and spiritual values and leads to social harmony among rational people
- Why Objectivism holds that the initiation of physical force against human beings is evil, why it should be banned by law, and what this means in practice
- The differences between Objectivism, religion, and subjectivism
- The life-serving nature of concepts, the objective standards by which they’re properly formed and used, and the life-harming fallacies involved in violating these principles
- Rand’s view of art and why it is essential to a spiritually rich life.
Whether you’re new to Objectivism or have studied it for years, this course will help you to understand (or better understand) the philosophy—and thus enhance your ability to thrive.